Terence Crawford scores highlight reel KO over David Avanesyan – Ring News 24

Sportem
Sportem
4 Min Read

Terence Crawford celebrates his win over David Avanesyan. Photo credit: Ed Zurga/Getty Images

WBO welterweight champion Terence ‘Bud’ Crawford 39-0 (30) successfully defended his world title for the sixth time with a sixth-round knockout of former European 147-pound champion David Avanesyan 29-4-1 (17) at the CHI Health Center in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday night.

The 34-year-old Avanesyan started fast, applying the pressure from the opening bell. Crawford, 35, took a cautious approach in the opening rounds as he measured his opponent and looked for openings to land his accurate blows.

Avanesyan had been on a six-fight knockout streak, including a pair of stoppages over Kerman Lejarraga and a sixth-round knockout of former Olympian Josh Kelly in February last year.

Crawford, a three-weight world titleholder and former undisputed junior welterweight champion, outlanded Avanesyan in every round except the fourth, when they both connected with 13 blows according to CompuBox.

Working behind a prolific range-finding jab (73.4 attempts/4.5 connects per round) that comprised 69.9% of Crawford’s total output kept the aggressive Avanesyan at bay.

Crawford scored his 10th consecutive knockout thanks to a scorching left uppercut, right hand combination to the jaw that put the challenger flat on his back and prompted referee Sparkle Lee to stop the contest at 2:14 of round number six.

Crawford averaged an extraordinary 104.9 punches per round due to those light jabs compared to 48.1 for Avanesyan, and while he wasn’t especially accurate (13% overall, 6% jabs, 30% power) and was occasionally caught with singular power shots, his defensive numbers (17% overall, 5% jabs, 22% power) were still excellent given his age and layoff of more than a year.

Crawford prevailed 80-48 overall, 26-4 jabs, 29-24 body shots and 54-44 power punches as well as 5-0-1 in the CompuBox round-by-round breakdown of total connects.

Crawford’s 92 attempted jabs in round two tied the all-time CompuBox record at welterweight with Antonio Margarito’s round five effort against Joshua Clottey in December 2006.

Avanesyan was knocked down in the sixth round and required medial attention after the bout.

“My coach told me to keep picking my punches, and keep being smart with my punch placement,” Crawford said. “I broke him down and took him out with a punch I’ve been working on extensively in the gym. Once he landed on the canvas, I knew all my hard work and preparation paid off.”

Crawford’s trainer Brian ‘Bo’ McIntyre indicated a move up in weight might be on the cards.

“That man can do basically anything he wants to do at 147 or 154,” McIntyre said at the post-fight press conference. “He’s proven to the world that he’s the pound-for-pound best. The only question is who’s going to be willing to fight him? You don’t see nobody calling out Bud.”

The fight that everyone wants to see is Crawford against WBC, WBA and IBF welterweight champion Errol ‘The Truth’ Spence Jr 28-0 (22).

“We’re all fighting for the number one spot,” Crawford said at the post-fight press conference. “It ain’t personal. It’s just business.”

Source link

Find Us on Socials

Share this Article
Leave a comment